Wednesday 9 December 2009

Junior Gymnastic Whizz Kid

Ok, so there are some pretty awesome juniors out there right now, and I'm talking worldwide. China has its endless supply of talent so nothing's changed there. Russia are looking strong too, with Soviet child Viktoria Komova of the amazing talent, (please don't let her break before she's a senior. In fact, don't let her break at all). There's also the Mustafina sisters, Tatiana Nabieva and Kristina Goryunova's younger sister. I love Goryunova. I hope her sister does better though. Like being able to land a DTY without nearly concussing herself.

The USA has it's familiar pool of strong juniors with Jordyn Wieber, Kyla Ross, Bridget Caquatto and Mini A-Sac. Japan are shooting up the rankings with their latest wonderkid of the 'sure, a double double as a second pass is no problem whatsoever' variety. Even Britain is looking promising, with Jenny Pinches, Danuscia Francis and Nicole Hibbert due to become seniors shortly, and the Romaeo sisters (I don't think I've spelt that right) Venus and Angel.


But here is one of my favourites: Step forward Larisa Iordache of Romania










How fantastic is she? Incredibly talented girl Romania have going on here. Amazing flic - full twisting tuck back and GORGEOUS dismount. Fully round no questions whatsoever about that. Not bad on the double turn either. My only concern is will she last? I hope she does. So many juniors look promising then fade away into nothingness (I'm looking at you Shantessa Pama). I don't know how old she is either. From what I have read she should be eligible in 2012, but if anyone actually knows please comment and tell me. =D


She isn't the only amazing junior Romania have either, even with Porgras being a senior nowadays. Amelia Racea is pretty groovesome too, and evey single junior floor routine I have seen have been so much better than the seniors! I mean poor Steliana just could not dance, but Izbasa and Tamirjan can pull off a floor routine alright. But they're all amazing. Please let the save Romanian gymnastics. Someone needs to.

2 comments:

  1. I like her, too! In fact, I'm starting to like Romanian gymnastics again, thanks to Porgras and all of Romania's charming and elegant juniors. They really seem to be taking their cues from their stylish stars of the 80s (Silivas, Dobre et al) rather than from the powerful but robotic gymnasts they were pumping out in the 90s and most of this decade. I wonder...do you think the 2012 Olympics is going to be an old-fashioned showdown between Russia and Romania?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, China and USA will still feature I think, but personally I'm hoping Russia will kick butt and Romania will get a couple of medals along the way. And who knows, maybe Japan could sneak a bronze somewhere, that would be fab.

    ReplyDelete