Sunday 8 November 2009

2009 - The Return of Artistry?

I just read the Gymnastics Examiner's article about her hopes that artistry is returning, (read it here). I agree with her choices, especially Porgras and Myzdrikova, but there's a couple I would like to add to this list.
1. Ksenia Semenova (RUS) - 2009 Europeans

As Gymnastics Examiner points out in her article the Russians are the ones whose choreography suffered the least throughout the quads. They've always placed emphasis on dance training, and it's something many other gymnastics federations should do. The whole point of artistic gymnastics is that it ought to be artistic. There are many fabulous gymnasts out there from Russia who have great dance, Ksenia Afansyeva, Kristina Goryunova and Yulia Berger to name but three.

2. Sophina DeJesus (USA) - 2009 International Juniors

I love this routine. I thought it was really freaky when I first saw it but I love it now. It's different, and whilst the dance is not so good technically as the Russians it suits her perfectly. In my opinion she's much better than the US seniors at dance and presentation, as are a couple of other juniors; Sophia Lee and one of the GAGE girls (I can't remember which one, not Ohashi). I just hope she keeps it up.

1 comment:

  1. Sophina's routine is totaly David Lynch, I love it. Twilight Zone all the way.

    ReplyDelete