Tuesday 3 November 2009

Howdie All

Yo. I have decided to start a blog, as you can see, because I've found myself getting frustrated at what other blogs are saying (or alternatively agree with what they're saying) and want to write my own views on stuff. So here we are.
I know it was a little while ago now but worlds:
Preliminaries

Demyanchuk is mad. A hop full - Tkatchev - Geinger combo???? It's really impressive, and on youtube, check it out.

Becky Downie rolled off the entire podium. How far back did that girl need to stumble? Still pretty impressive save from totally cracking her head open on the podium.

Tweth (that's Beth Tweddle for those who can't work it out) screwing up bars. I wasn't actually that surprised if we're honest, she isn't good under pressure, I'm amazed she held it together in floor finals.

All Around Final


Ok, I was actually there for this. So, Bridget Sloan is the world aa champion. I didn't see it coming. Put it this way, I was surprised when she became national champion. I thought, maybe she'll medal, if we're totally honest I expected Bross to win, and she would've done had she not screwed up her final element of her final routine. No offence to anyone but I'm not that keen on Sloan. She's a good gymnast, but she is so very dull to watch. She doesn't shine, she's just consistent. It's kind of like when Maria Olaru won in 1999. Don't get me wrong I love Olaru, but world aa champion? Seriously?

Rebecca Bross. Well. I know a lot of you who are reading this, if you know me from youtube, know I am not a massive fan of American gymnastics. Not all American gymnastics, you can't put it in a little box like that and neatly file it away but still. Bross kind of shows all of why I don't. She's dull. Which is weird, because she has big skills, and her technique on most things isn't that bad. Her knees annoy me, but I know she kind of can't help that. She has no charisma, no style on floor exercise. Papa Liukin doesn't help her here, the choreography is awful even by WOGA standards but still. She goes for the big powerful skills and ignores her dance skills. But my biggest problem with her is bars. It's really not fun to watch. Her knees bend badly everytime she goes past the low bar. She's jerky, bars should flow. Lots of people complained about Semenova's bars technique, well Bross has the same style, just about a million times worse.
Koko Tsurumi got bronze!! This is fantastic in my opinion. I love all the Japenese girls, so it was fab to see her take home the all around bronze. I think she should upgrade her vault though because as an all arounder she might not be competetive if she doesn't, much as I enjoyed worlds the standard wasn't high, it was the post olympic year.

Other:

Miki Uemura - I followed her performances, floor was lovely. Vault was only a full twisting yurchenko which disappointed me a bit, then she fell on beam and bars :(

Ksenia Semenova - So glad she managed to stay on her feet on floor and vault, it didn't look good. Bars sucked a bit, dragged her feet on the ground after her Pak.


Ana Porgras - the gymnast everyone is in love with, or at least anyone with half a brain should be in love with. She is amazing, and so un-Romanian. Her presentation is fantastic on floor, and she has the skills to go with it, and a Memmel that is second only to Lia Parolari's. Her bars is good for a Romanian, and her beam rocks, it's such a shame she lost it all.
The home girls: Becky Downie crumbled a bit, falling on a Church and twice on beam (though her dismount stayed where it should have done). She looked more than slightly distraught but it's good to she her floor routine has upgraded. Becky Wing coped brilliantly in her first ever major all around competition.
I'll do event finals later.

No comments:

Post a Comment