Wednesday 18 November 2009

Splits Splits Splits

Random post time!! Today I'm talking split positions. Real ones, not moaning about people who can't.



Enter Khiuani Dias of Brazil. Lovely picture this one. It's like she measured an exact split position and refused to go any further. She does a tourjete on beam too, so her splits is really up to it. Sometimes I don't know whether I prefer these exact splits or.........



Oversplits!!! As seen here on Maike Roll of Germany, and no offence to German gymnastics, but she is incredibly un-German with her oversplit and Spanish toe point. Her oversplits are only small, but it's definately there.




Much like Miki Uemura. Only a slight oversplit but there, and it still takes a fabby photo. Also it wouldn't be a real post if I didn't get a Japanese in here somewhere. She's one of my faves, and she's flexible to boot.




This is quite a scarily flexible photo actually. Anastasia Marachovskaya of Belarus' wonderful oversplit. She's got such long legs that it looks even scarier. Of course one might argue it's just the camera angle, but it still looks amazing.



This lovely position is achieved by Goksu Uctas of Turkey ast the 2009 worlds. Her back leg is in 180 degree split, her front leg is oversplitting. I really like this one as well, and not just because one doesn't usually find pictures of her. It's a great position.



Ukrainians oversplits scare me. Krasnianska's are fabulous, and this here is Valentina Holenkova, achieving oversplit with both her legs, just for good measure. Why only oversplit one when you could do both?


And finally Zhang Nan who can oversplit an arabesque. Some people are just scary.


3 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but Anna Pavlova's oversplits make me weep with joy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya MTSF! You know whose oversplit scares me? Dariya Zgoba's! She is the only gymnast I would describe as too flexible!
    Also, I have been trying to get in contact with you (it's The Couch Gymnast, btw) but I can find no email address (prob for this very reason!). Do you think you could drop me a line on listaday@gmail.com if you feel like it? Hope I hear from you. TCG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Zgoba's are terrifying, but I couldn't find a good photo of them otherwise she would DEFINATELY have been in here.

    Also, Pavlova is amazing, I would put her in every post if I could but I decided not to :)

    ReplyDelete